When it comes to business, there will be different requirements to filter data based on some parameters. There is no point of showing all data in every case, we may need to filter the data some times based on different things like the following.
1. Showing some data which is assigned to a particular user.
2. Showing data based on dynamic dates.
3. Showing data based on dynamic text
4. Showing data of current user.
When the above scenarios come to the screen and when the data is dynamically changing we need to prefer the following based on the type of data.
1. We can use query string filter webpart available in sharepoint to filter the data based on what is passed in the query string.
2. Text filter webpart and type the text in the text filter to filter the data.
3. Current user filter to filter the data for the logged in user.
4. Date filter to filter the data based on date.
5. SharePoint list filter to filter the data in a list
How to configure these filters.
1. Add both list and filter in the same page.
2. Edit the page.
3. Click on the small down arrow at the right side of the query string filter added in the page and click on edit webpart.
4. Enter the following details.
Enter the query string filter name and query string parameter name and enter a default value if needed.
5. Click OK
6. Click on the small down arrow at the right side of the list added in the page and hover over the connections menu and again hover over the “get filter value from” menu and click on “query string filter”. This will open a popup.
7. Make sure that popup is not blocking in your browser.
8. The 6th step specified above will open a popup.
In the popup you can see a dropdown to select the consumer field name, Select the field name to which the filter should compare the value.
9. Click Finish.
This will connect the query string filter with sharepoint list.
Now you can browse the page by passing the querystring like the following.
if you need wildcard filter just attach the value with “*”