In this article, We will show you the best ways to avoid performance issues in SharePoint list
SharePoint List is one of the most used features in SharePoint by all types of users. Be it a developer or business user you must have already used SharePoint List for some purpose.
What do you do when your SharePoint list grows larger? The first thing is the performance issue, it will take time to load the data.
Below are the different ways that you can try to improve performance issues in your SharePoint List.
Keep limited columns in your SharePoint list which helps to render the list fast and improves loading time.
#2 Limited lookup columns
Lookup columns will have performance issues to get the data from the respective lookup lists. Even the PeoplePicker field also a lookup field which lookups from a user list of the site.
#3 Avoid using Calculated columns
Calculated columns will do some operations if any value changes, so avoid using the calculated columns if possible.
#4 Reduce the columns in the views
Create simple views with necessary columns which will reduce the data selection to render the views.
Follow below steps to control what columns to be displayed in the view,
- Click “Add Columns” and then choose “Show/Hide Columns”.
- Select the limited columns to display and click “Apply”
#5 Implement column indexing
5000 is the Threshold limit for SharePoint list items, if the limit crossed, we cannot load the items to avoid that implement column indexing.
By default, ID column is indexed. There are some limitations in indexing also which are as follows,
- We cannot index all the columns, for example we cannot index Multi Line of text, Multiple People Picker.
- Indexing has to be implemented before reaching 20,000 items in a list. It is not possible to implement indexing once it crosses the 20,000 item limit.
- We can index only 20 columns at the maximum
Here is how you can implement indexing on a list,
- Open any list that you want to index, go to the list settings like below,
- In the upcoming page scroll and find the option “Indexed columns”
- In the next screen, click “Create a new index”
- Choose the column you want to index and click “Create”
#6 Create better views with proper filtering
Apply the filters in the view in an efficient way so it filters only the necessary data to render rather loading all the list items.
To apply filters in the SharePoint list, use the OOTB filter section like below,
I hope this article helps you to get understand the different ways you can follow to improve the performance of list. If you have any questions/issues about this article, please let me know in the comments.